So you go to login to via RDP to a server, workstation or remote PC and you get this error:
Not to worry, here is the fix as well as the why.
First run windows update on your local system and try again.
Quick fix: (not secure)
- Use the Windows+R key to open the Run Command. (If you keyboard lacks the windows key you can use Ctrl+Alt+DEL, open task manager, then click file and "Run".)
- In the run command type in gpedit.msc which will open the Local Group Policy Editor.
- Expand Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Credentials Delegation.
- Update the Encryption Oracle Remediation policy to Enabled, then change Protection level to Vulnerable.
- After doing this it is advisable to update your remote system and switch these settings back.
Proper fix: (secure)
Update the remote server, in some cases the remote server may show that is it up to date in which case you may have a compromised system and will need to follow the following steps in order to force the update after which you should do a full scan on the system for potential malware.
After the May 2018 update RDP no longer connects by default to a remote system that is not running the CredSSP update.