This issue now has a hotfix however, if you don't want to take a performance hit that this hotfix causes then you can simply do the following to solve the problem with pdf files and IIS 7.5
- Open "IIS Manager" on your server
- Select your service instace
- Select "MIME Types" under IIS
- Select ".pdf" then click "edit"
- Chenge the MIME type from "application/pdf" to "application/octet-stream"
This will cause the web server to treat the file as a download instead of a pdf application. From IE8 pdf files will open as normal, in firefox it will first download the file in full then open it.