First thing that should be done on any windows server is to disable SMBv1, its one of the most exploited ways an attacker is able to gain information from your network and access data.
To check the current status:
Get-SmbServerConfiguration | Select EnableSMB1Protocol, EnableSMB2Protocol
Disable SMB v1
Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB1Protocol $false
Now lets check the group policy for SMB signing, open local group policy editor
Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options.
Now look for "Microsoft Network Server" and verify that the following is true.
- Idle time: < 30 Minutes.
- Digitally Sign communications (always): Enabled
Verify SMB Encryption is enabled
Open Server Manager > File and Storage Services > Shares
Right click a share > click properties > settings and verify that "Encrypt data access" is checked. or force it for all shares on the server by using this command:
Set-SmbServerConfiguration –EncryptData $true
If you still want older clients that use SMB2 for example to access the files you will need to make an exception for them. (note, this would allow man in the middle attacks).
From windows powershell
Set-SmbServerConfiguration –RejectUnencryptedAccess $false
to revert to only accept SMB3.x+ connections
Set-SmbServerConfiguration –RejectUnencryptedAccess $true
Download without ads, IE Spell v.264573
ieSpellSetup264573.exe (1.99 mb)
I've been designing, hosting, optimizing and marketing websites since 1997, If you are looking for Internet Marketing Professional help to create a full online presence please feel free to give me a call at 507-536-9557.
Now, on to the...
Online Marketing Guide
First and foremost, if you are a local business with a business location be sure to get listed on Google places and bing local. The account and service for both no charge.
Getting Started with Online Marketing
Things to try out?
- Google Adwords is a great start for a small budget. If you are looking to test the waters you can call 507 536-9557 for a $100 Google Adwords credit and if you ever need help managing your online marketing just keep me in mind.
- Landing pages, see how different content affects your conversion rates.
- Promotions, giveaways and contests.
- Spend smarter, not more.
- Mobile marketing. Be sure to have a clean and easy to use mobile phone site before marketing to mobile phone users.
What is your competitor doing?
- Any good marketing professional can tell you how much money your competitor is spending and give you a good idea on their ROI.
- See what is working for your competitor(s) and do it better.
In my Internet marketing experience over the years, here are some things not to do,
If you should have any questions or are looking for an Internet marketing professional give me a call at 507 536-9557
What is bounce rate? Bounce rate means the browser who clicked the add did not take any other actions on your site. In most cases they clicked on the ad by mistake or they are fake clicks. Less is better, you should strive for 60% or less bounce rate.
What is time on site? Time on site is the amount of time a new browser spends viewing your website before they close the window or move on to another site. In most cases you should strive for a minimum 1 minute or 3 minutes average for ecommerce websites.
This method can be used to fix duplicate content errors and make it so google only indexes one version of your urls, which will prevent you from getting a negative modifiers.
In order to do this you have two options.
- Use the proper canonical tags, for example place the following code at the top of your website:
- Use the following script to automate the process and only allow lower case urls to be viewed on your site, create a global.asax file and place it in your site's main directory.
If you plan to use both methods be sure to use only lower case for your canonical tags or you will end up with problems.
How much money, bribes and fraud does it take to win an election these days anyways?
This article is a work in progress about the election process of 2012, candidates, media blackouts and behind the sciences action to becoming the next president of the united states of America.
It started out like any other year perhaps a bit early with a full house in the GOP looking for the GOP party nomination.
The first vote at the IA Caucus is when things became clearly different from past elections. Vote count discrepancies, voter adjustments and more.
Only four candidates remain, things get a bit hairy with attack ads and name calling. Are these candidates for president or a kindergarten class?... wait, sorry for the insult kids, you kindergarteners act much better than most of these candidates.
Only two candidates remain, yet the media and GOP appear to be blind to their 12 term congress man from Texas.
Little news of the process and delegate count at this point from the larger media sources, other than the occasional romney preemptively declared primary winner.
How much money does it take to win an election? (as of 05/15/2012)
- Barack Obama, $196,000,000 USD
- Mitt Romney, $87,500,000 USD
- Ron Paul, $35,900,000 USD
- Rick Santorum, $20,600,000 USD (OUT)
- Rick Perry, $20,300,000 USD (OUT)
- Herman Cain, $16,100,000 USD (OUT)
- Michele Bachmann, $7,400,000 USD (OUT)
- Jon Huntsman, $3,700,000 USD (OUT)
- Tim Pawlenty, $5,800,000 USD (OUT)